Ken was born and raised in Shelbyville, Tennessee, about an hour north of Huntsville. He is the son of Robert (Bobby) and Sara Smith—if you think you see the Spirit of God in him, say a prayer of thanks for these two saints. His grandparents were farmers and he spent some of his growing up years in a Southern agrarian culture.
- Ministry you are passionate about at Twickenham:
- The Jobs for Life ministry is a blessing and an opportunity for service in the name of Jesus. It has provided an opportunity to grow closer to many of you as we work in concert to rescue students from themselves and life circumstances. It is a special moment to listen to people tell their stories and stand beside them as they see a brighter future in a framework of Christian love. From prior experience, service as a shepherd is a ministry that gives us a chance for God’s love to flow through us to reach others, care for the body of Christ and meet a broad set of community needs. I think we are at Twickenham because that is where God wants us to be at this point in our journey. I would offer Twickenham to others as a community that provides a place for imperfect people that are seeking God’s grace and peace.
- Favorite Bible Verse/character and why:
- Favorite verse: I am not sure that I have a favorite Bible verse. I have some favorite modern-day authors who help us understand discipleship in the 21st century. Josh Graves, Randy Harris and N T Wright are gifted speakers, writers and people of faith. I have read many of their books and from this wisdom literature, I have a favorite phrase or mantra that I will sometimes repeat to myself as guidance: “Be calm, sane and prayerful”.
- Favorite Team:
- Ken is a life-long Volunteer and bleeds orange!
- Hobbies/Extracurricular Activities:
- Ken plays USTA tennis throughout the year. He also likes to ski, travel and read. He is known as Papa to his grandsons.